Margherita Pizza: Learn How to Make Soft Pizza Dough Recipe
1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active yeast
1 (100 to 110 degrees F)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Additional four for hands & surface
1. Add the envelope of yeast and sugar to 1 cups of warm water. Stir with fork. Let set 15 minutes or until bubble and frothy.
2. Add yeast mixture, flour, salt, and olive oil into a large bowl for a stand mixture with dough hook attached. Mix ingredients at medium-speed (scraping down side of bowl with spatula, in the beginning) until dough is smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
3. Add sticky dough into a, lightly oiled, large mixing bowl. Cover with clean towel or lightly oil plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm (draft-free) environment for 1-2 hour.
4. With floured hands, gently punch down dough. Add dough to floured surface. Roll dough in flour until no longer sticky. Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Form into 4 balls & let set on floured surface for 15 minutes.
Time to build the MARGHERITA PIZZA!!
Preheat oven to 500 Degrees F.
5. Using your hands…grab a pizza dough ball. Begin pushing down dough, starting from center & working your way to edge of dough, flatten to desired shape.
6. Sprinkle cornmeal on baking pan (cookie sheet or pizza pan works best). Add dough on top of cornmeal and begin to add your MARGHERITA TOPPING.
7. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to top on prepared dough. With back of spoon, spread the oil 1/2-inch from edge of dough.
8. Add 2 tablespoons of pizza or marinara sauce on top of oil. With back of spoon, spread the sauce 1/2-inch from edge of dough.
9. Add 1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan cheese (asiago, romano, and/or a blend of these three cheeses) to top of tomato sauce.
10. Add pinches of fresh mozzarella cheese & freshly torn basil leaves to top.
11. Add freshly grated black pepper, (a little) sprinkle of kosher salt, and drizzle of olive oil.
BAKE in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until bubbly!!
ENJOY HOT or COLD!!